LIGHTHOUSE LAB Course – 10.01.22 – 28.01.22
Preparation to apply for fixed term NHS Laboratory Support Worker vacancies - full and part time roles
** 11 job offers were made from the December course **
This course is for those aged 19+, who are not in employment or education and are in receipt of a benefit. It will prepare Job Centre customers to apply for fixed term Laboratory Support Worker vacancies - full and part time roles.
The roles are based at Baltic Park Gateshead and involve processing Covid samples that will come into the lab for testing. No experience is needed for the vacancies and no DBS checks are required. There are immediate starts and access to all NHS benefits once employed.
Newcastle Hospitals manage the lab and have over a hundred full and part time jobs available in the role of lab support worker based at Baltic Park Gateshead. These will play a vital role in processing thousands of samples that will come into the lab for testing.
The lab will operate 24 hrs per day, 7 days per week, as follows:
- full and part time hours working 37.5, 26.25 or 21 hours per week. Working 4 days per week either Sunday to Wednesday or Wednesday to Saturday. All jobs will be working on a rota a week of day shift and then a week of night shift.
- The shifts that are available are:
- Full time-37.5 hours per week: 08:00-20:00 week 1 and week 2: 20:00-08:00 working Wednesday-Saturday.
- Part Time-26.25 hours per week: 12:00-20:00, week 1 and week 2: 12:00-08:00 working Wednesday-Saturday.
- Part Time-21 hours per week: 14:00-20:00 week 1 and 20:00-02:00 or 11.00-17.00 week 1 and 23.00-05.00 week 2 working Wednesday-Saturday.
The main tasks will be to remove sample containers from their packaging, record that they have been received, place the containers in trays, and prepare them and the lab machines so that analysis can be carried out.
Everything is carried out in a safe, Covid-secure environment with personal protective equipment (PPE) provided.
No previous experience or qualifications are necessary as full training and on-going support will be provided.
This is an exciting opportunity to take an active part in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic and ultimately help save lives.
Qualifications gained on the course:
NCFE Level 1: Employability Skills
NCFE CACHE Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of the Prevention and Control of Infection in Health Care
Newcastle College Rye Hill Campus, Scotswood Road,NE4 7SA
10/1/2022 – 28/1/2022
Monday to Friday 10am – 3:00pm with 1:1 tutorials: 3.00pm – 3:30:pm
Anyone who is interested in this course must contact their Work Coach and ask to be referred.